Friday, September 21, 2007

What have thou wrought?

The other day as I walked the flight of stairs to my apartment one of the kids in the flat came running down.I gave him a hello,ruffled his hair and moved on.I froze on spot when he called out."Aunty is looking glamorous today".He looked up and smiled innocently at me as I looked at him confused wondering whether the 6 year old had said what I had heard.Well...I sighed as I thought.Atleast the comment stopped there.He had not left me embarassed.

On one occassion as I sat with my friends in McDonalds we noticed a kid trying to catch our attention.He stood behind a glass separation and was all expressions and actions at us."Oh he is sooo cute!" I exclaimed."Ohh yeah cute!These days they could'nt get any cuter!".My friend said.When I frowned at him ,he went on indignantly."Hey dont go about cootchie-cooing him, I tell you.You might end up hearing colorful expletives or atleast see his finger".He narrated as to how a kid had called out a 'Get lost you dog!!' when the kid's seductive innocent smiles had led my friend to cuddle him"."Oh you must have tried to steal his french fries".I offered,triggering a war of words.We looked on at other kids around us.One Mama and Papa were grinding out french fries lovingly for their 6 - 7 month old kid.Well, if a baby can have a diet restricted to adults then why cant kids mouth statements restricted to the latter?

Talking of diet maybe the baby will grow up to hate its parents for its obesity.Like my little niece once said "I dont want to be fat like mama" or "Do I not have Aishwarya Rai's figure?" or "I would not eat that.I would grow fat".????!!!!!?????.How can anyone her age even consider such things!

A child's innocence is worth pursuing.But if it gets caught up in the 'wisdom' of the world what are we left with to pursue?

1 comment:

EJ said...

Hey but i think we can't blame the kids, After all they are growing up hearing the seniors using phrases like "f*** ur a**" , "crap" etc so generously....
I still don't understand what these ppl achieve when they try to imitate the americans like these...Some ppl have so got used to these kinds of usages that they can't utter even a complete sentence without any of these words in it....