Monday, September 17, 2007

It got me started


As achan and I stood at the main hall of my going-to-be first college- for finishing off the formalities for admission- we passed comments on the couples around us.The couples comprised of a parent and child eagerly waiting to finish off the formalities and grabbing at any kind of manna from any one in authority.
Time and again it has been proven that when you are in a crowd and you dont have anything much to do other than wait for something to happen,gazing or rather non-intrusive observation of people around you helps.But then if people around you get hold of the tactic and begin doing the same, you lose interest.
At one such moment when I was cribbing to achan about how bored I was becoming he looked down at me .He seemed to have lost it too.As if he had made his decision he walked towards the huge college bulletin board which covered the entire wall on one side.I wandered around to where he was standing ready to get bored again.As he stood reading the notices put up, I also ran my eyes through the gibberish.They neither made sense nor were enlightening.As I tugged at achan's sleeve to complain again as to how much bored I was he shrugged me off and murmured that he wanted to finish reading something.I followed his gaze to look up at what he was reading.What the! He was keenly studying the exam time table for the 6th sem students!!

"Acha what the!!??" Come lets get back to gazing at people.Leave alone an unassuming wall!"

As we turned around I fell onto the neck of another curious spectator.Gosh! and he was not the only one.The entire herd of couples had swarmed all around us.I could feel their breath on me intense with concentration.As we passed the last of the couples craning their necks to get a peek, achan giggled.

"Now that was fun!!".He said.

We walked back to where we had stood initially.As I looked up at him I realised what he had been trying to do.For the first time ,that day I got a live demonstration of what we popularily call the "Herd Mentality".

Maybe the same factor led me to becoming a blogger.I Also Ran...

1 comment:

EJ said...

Whatever be the reason for u to start blogging , i luv reading these blogs...
And the theme is really different and nice....
Hope that you wont run out of subjects to write, which is the reason for stopping this activity altogether...